Memorial Site to the Victims of the Marzahn Detention Camp for Sinti and Roma
Between 1936 and 1945, a National Socialist detention camp for Sinti and Roma was located on the premises of today's Otto-Rosenberg-Platz in Berlin-Marzahn.
As late as in September 1986, on the initiative of the Protestant pastor Bruno Schottstädt and the writer Reimar Gilsenbach, a memorial stone created by the artist Jürgen Raue was erected in the adjacent Park Cemetery. In 1990 a white marble slab was added at the instigation of Otto Rosenberg. In 1991 a bronze plaque by Götz Dorl containing further information about the Nazi detention camp for Gypsies completed the memorial ensemble as it is today.
Since 1990, the Berlin-Brandenburg Association of German Sinti and Roma and the Berlin-Marzahn Ecumenical Forum have held a remembrance ceremony for the victims of the Marzahn camp every year in June. In 2007, a square and a street on the premises of the former Nazi detention camp were named after Otto Rosenberg.
The memorial and information site was established in 2011 at Otto-Rosenberg-Platz. It was initiated by the Regional Association and is supported by the Governing Mayor and the Marzahn-Hellersdorf district administration.
Ten exhibition panels inform about the history of the camp and remind visitors of the fate of the detainees. Biographies of individual victims are at the focus of the exhibition.
The Memorial Site to the Victims of the Marzahn Detention Camp for Sinti and Roma is funded by the Berlin Senate Department for Culture and Europe.